Monday, January 14, 2008

Doug and Carolyn become regulars of the Queenstown Internet café scene


Week of 10 – 15 December
Without a laptop, Doug and I spent lots of the week hanging out a various Internet cafes. Luckily, Queenstown has quite a few and we even found one with Macs. We were madly trying to work on health insurance applications and more tax and financial stuff. Without a computer all the little details we usually just did on the Internet became a hassle, like no Skype for phone calls. Doug had been using the internet to monitor currencies as we prepared to transfer funds to close on our new house. We survived. We just missed our little Mac.

I did observe most of the Internet café clientele was a tad bit younger than us. Strange what people will pay to do on a computer. I watched some poker action. One gal, older than me, spent several hours one evening playing solitaire. I kept thinking a deck of cards would have been much cheaper. Almost everyone was wearing headphones, except me. This whole new world for me to observe was distracting.

We did find time to take do some hikes and I practiced yoga. We hiked up to the top of Queenstown Hill and I showed Doug the Basket of Dreams. I have hiked up the hill several times. I wanted to share this mystical spot with Doug.

On the side of the trail as the basket first come into view is a little plaque inscribed:

The Basket's spiral of steel
follows you
inward
to reflect
to draw inspiration from the mountains, lake and from those who are with you,
outward
to dream
for the future.

Time flies, eternity waits.

1 comment:

Jay said...

Guys, that pic looks like something from a scifi movie! Can't wait to see it in person.