Thursday, January 17, 2008

I know it sounds too cliché to be true

Monday, 17 December

Since we closed on our house this morning and we move in on Wednesday, I guess now is the time to tell a bit about our new home. I feel almost silly saying this, because it sounds like a complete cliché, but we have moved to New Zealand and will be living on a sheep station. Right now little lambs dot bright green hills.

After closing on the house, we threw a load of stuff into the car. Packing everything in suitcases wasn’t possible because I hid the boys’ Christmas presents in the suitcases. We headed out to the house with a first load of stuff from the shoebox apartment. We almost felt the event was staged. We drove up to the house; baaing filled the air. As we unloaded the car we could see lambs and moms leaping and bounding down the hill into a pasture below the house.

Luckily, we are not “running” the station. Doug and I are short on those skills at the moment. There is a farm manager. Residents like us live on the station and can participate or not with daily farm activities. Who knows what the future holds…Doug a stationman tending sheep? I am sure crazier things have happened.

Oddly, we don't have a shot of Doug and any sheep yet. I promise take one and upload it for your viewing pleasure. I've included photo taken the day the lambs were culled.

2 comments:

Jay said...

Doug as a shepherd - there is an image that I am having difficulty getting my arms around. Can't wait to see pics, though! Does he have his shepherd's staff yet?

Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn, I got your website off of the post card you sent Lisa Davis. WOW I'm amazed at where and what you all have done. Everyone here is great. Already registering kids for next year. Liz Bogers had her baby girl Monday. All are doing well. The only wild life we see right now are the geese on the soccer field everyday. Can't wait to see more pics. I'll watch for more news from New Zealand. Tell the boys Keith and I said hello.
Terri Burch