Sunday, January 13, 2008

Once I peed on my head

Sunday, 9 December
We’re driving home after picking up Liam’s buddy for a playdate. This the first friend Liam has invited over since he started school in Queenstown. Liam, his new buddy Mitchell and Colin are in the back seat. I am not paying to close attention to their conversation until I hear Colin say, “Once I peed on my head.”

What? Why? Poor Liam. He’s just trying to establish himself as a normal kid with his new friend. And, here comes his little brother recounting how he peed on his own head last summer on a road trip to Texas. Liam is mortified that he has to claim Colin as his own brother.

Colin, on the other hand, looks fairly pleased with himself. He has at least made a name for himself, even if it is a totally weird and gross name. He also has the full attention of both older boys.

I spend the rest of Mitchell's visit trying to distract and occupy Colin so that Liam can try to hang out with Mitchell without the little brother factor. I had tried to invite a buddy for Colin too. Unfortunately, those plans fell through.

No comments: