Friday, March 14, 2008

Broken Mommies

This week Auntie Joyce (aka one of the crazy aunties, by my childhood and Colby friends) sent me a story written by her mom, my granny. According to Joyce the story was written over 40 years ago. I am guessing it was written about events that happened at least 50 years ago. I decided to share the story with you. I realize that two generations later I am doing exactly as my granny did. I write to record the events of my life with my young family. Like my granny, I am amazed, amused and baffled by my children and their interpretation and encounters with the world as they grow.

I am fascinated and treasure any photos, memories and stories about my maternal grandparents. To me, they are shadowy, almost mythical, members of my family. My granny passed away when I was four and my grandpa followed her by the time I was six, I believe. My sister was a newborn when my granny died and my brother was not born when my grandfather died. I feel lucky because I am the only sibling that knew my granny.

All I have left is a series of floating images, like a drawer loosely filled with miscellaneous old photos. What I remember most clearly is my grandparents laughing in their long narrow kitchen. They always seemed to be laughing. I remember a bottom draw in that kitchen full of forbidden sweets. I can feel the weight of that drawer as I pulled on the handle and peered inside looking for an icing covered cookie or a Twinkie. I remember a red and white checked facecloth hanging at eye-level in the bathroom. I can see a big closet near this bathroom full of Granny’s clothes. I remember going for walks to Petruzzi’s vegetable stand and to the store by the lake that seemed to sell everything, including ice cream. I remember being in my crib in the room with pink, or maybe yellow, walls. I can feel my fingernails scraping animal stickers off that pink wall behind the crib. I can see Granny peaking around the door at me in my crib. I remember the big party the day of Granny’s funeral and I stayed the day with my other grandma. I am not sure whether or not all my memories are of actual events. I suspect some are stolen from photo albums or were actually heard on audiotapes sent by my grandparents after my family moved to California. I know without doubt that my grandpa made me the safest-scared you could be. I definitely remember waiting in his chair in front of his T.V. for him to return home from work, listening for the door to open, trembling with nervous excitement for him to discover me in his chair and then tickle-attack me until I relinquished the seat. I would get that same feeling when I bobbed in my life jacket next to my grandparents’ sailboat and Grandpa Shark would come from the deep and pull me under the surface.

My mom shares many stories of her parents with me and my siblings. My aunties and great-aunt add even more color and detail to my memories of Granny and Grandpa. Great-aunt Eleanor wrote me long letters and each one had a story about her sister, my granny. My favorite is the story of when my grandparents returned home from their honeymoon to find they had lost their jobs. Instead of looking for new jobs, they promptly left on a second honeymoon. This type of story adds to the mythical, romantic images of my grandparents that I conjure up in my imagination.

In a dream, I brought Doug to my grandparents’ house. We drove to East Brookfield, Massachusetts and I somehow found the house. The house looked long ago abandoned. It was worn and in need of paint. We entered and I led Doug straight upstairs. I opened Granny’s clothes’ closet door. Strangely it was still full of her clothes. For some reason I walked right into the closet and pulled Doug in behind me. I realized I had never noticed that the closet was actually quite large and there was an area rug below a big window. The window was too dirty to see out to the world, but the light that filtered through it the filled the room with yellowy, hazy glow. Slowly my eyes adjusted and I could see a chair in the corner. Granny was in the chair. I couldn’t believe it. I was overwhelmed. Finally my granny could meet Doug. She couldn’t understand why I hadn’t brought Doug to meet her sooner. It didn’t make sense to me either. All these years we’d missed and she here in her home in the closet all along.

She said, “Wait a minute.”

Then she disappeared between the clothes into another room in the closet. She came back with Grandpa. He was there too! He too met Doug. I knew they would love him. Then Doug and I had to leave. I didn’t want to go. We still had so much to share. The closet just seemed to fade back and away. I couldn’t keep up as the closet retreated.

I was so sad to realize I was dreaming. Never had a dream felt so real to me. And despite the introduction being only a dream, I felt a true sense of calm and completeness that Doug had finally met my grandparents and that they knew him.

Last night I printed out the copy of “Broken Mommies” that Auntie Joyce emailed to me. I read the story to Colin and Liam. After the boys went to bed, I sat and examined my copy of “Broken Mommies.” I want to understand each word and scribble. At the bottom of the second page, Granny wrote, “Good Cooker, Good Looker – See Good” The last word is crossed out. What do these words mean? What was that last word she crossed out? I try to decide whose handwriting looks like Granny’s handwriting, one of my aunt's or my mom's? I still have so many questions.

Slowly, I run my finger across the words that Granny wrote.


2 comments:

froggyinthepool said...

Yesterday Jeff and I spent the day with Jean and Earl. It was so nice. We went to a Maple Sugar farm and we found it very informative. On the way back to Jean and Earl's house we took the scenic route and ended up on old back roads that seemed to have a strange feel to them. As she drove along, Jean started talking about old memories that seemed to happen so long ago, but sounded like it was only yesterday. It was kind of like taking a drive down memory lane. Jean started talking about a simpler time. All at once it seemed like I was listening to a teenage girl who started to remember things and talked about little tid bits that had happened in the town she grew up in. She talked about some things that happened her when she, your mom, and Joyce were younger. She talked about her first job, going to the movies with her sisters, hanging out here and there with friends. You could feel the strong family ties at that moment. As we came up to an old brick house, Jean and Jeff pointed out that's were your grandparents used to live. Jeff told me about the big closet that they had. And he talked about how as a kid it seemed endless. You could tell Jean really missed her mom and dad, and Jeff really missed his grandparents.
Jeff and Jean said I would have loved to meet your grandparents. The house still stands, still full of old memories, but now a Justice of The Peace lives there. It was another reminder of how much time had changed things.
As were drove down the same street, Jeff pointed out where Kings store used to be. He recalled how as a young kid, he used to go there sometimes to have lunch. After that Jeff pointed out a few memories here and there. It was really nice to hear both of them talk about their memories. It just kind of took you back to a place and time where you felt safe and felt like there was nothing in the world that was ever going to change that. Before we got back to the house, we took one more trip down memory lane. In the cold weather we drove to Hot Dog Annies and had a bite to eat for lunch. We sat in the car and enjoyed our meal. Jeff hadn't been there in so long. He told me that used to be his fathers favorite place to go. As I said, it was so nice to take a trip down memory lane for a day...
Shannon

Back Yard Cooking Adventures said...

Carolyn, I love your essay. Makes me feel like I was there... Love, Allison