Friday, May 30, 2008

Happy Trails



While the Grandparents were visiting, we spent lots of time hanging out with the horses.

Liam and Colin wanted to show off their cowboy skills to their grandparents. Both boys have gained lots of confidence. Now all they want to do is charge around at top speed. Ruby, the Clydesdale cross, is huge, but good-natured. Out on the trails she generally heads where they boys want to go, unless she sees something good to eat. When she reaches down for a bite of grass Colin holds on to the reins, pinwheels forward with his legs pointing straight up in the air. Once Ruby finishes her nibble, she raises her head and Colin rights himself in the saddle. He’s laughing the whole time.

Grandpop (aka Don) was especially taken with the horses. Don didn’t mention to me that he hadn’t actually ever really ridden a horse before until he was in the saddle. (Note to self: Always ask about experience level first.) Don grew up on a farm in the country so I just assumed he was an old pro. Even after all these years, I learning about my father-in-law. He and Ruby headed out on the trail and became fast friends immediately.

Don and I rode out towards Moke Lake and stopped at an old hut. Marcia, Doug, Colin and Liam came out to join us for a mid-afternoon cup of tea. We took the saddles off the horses and turned them out in a small paddock next to the hut. We were lounging in the sun when Doug leaped up and yelled, “Watch out!” A mountain biker had come along the track behind the paddock and startled Ruby. From a standstill, Ruby leaped right out of the paddock almost into Doug’s lap. Almost every outing with the horses seems to reaffirm Doug’s opinion that my equine friends are big, crazy, and unpredictable and maybe out to get him. Ruby swerved around Doug and charged out into the field beyond the hut. I assumed she would high tail it for home jumping all the gates along the way. Colin and Liam had already left to run home. I was envisioning Ruby barreling down the track right over them. I just hoped they had the sense to dive in the bushes. As I went to find her bridle wondering how I would catch her, Ruby came trotting back to me. I opened the paddock gate and she ambled back inside the paddock. I had heard rumors that Ruby could jump over anything, but I thought I was hearing exaggerated horse stories. Now I know, Ruby girl can jump!

I am riding Poppy now. I have kept quiet about my new horse until I was fairly certain this relationship was going to work. I am leasing Poppy for the winter. She is a beautiful 15.1 h, dark bay Thoroughbred mare. She is silly and full of energy, but (so far) has no buck or nastiness. She and I are having lots of fun. I decided leasing for a season is the perfect option. There is the option to buy Poppy next spring, but no commitment if this relationship doesn’t work out for the two of us. So we’re in a committed relationship for a season and then we’ll see how we’re doing together.

No comments: