Thursday, February 28, 2008

I can’t remember our Denver house!

Below is an exchange I overheard between the boys in early January. I quickly scribbled it down but forgot to post it in a blog entry:

Liam announced in a panicked voice at breakfast yesterday, “I can’t remember our Denver house!”

Colin started a verbal tour of the house for Liam, “Remember the playroom was in the basement and your bedroom was next to the kitchen…”

“Oh, yeah. Okay, I remember,” Liam, said with a big sigh of relief.

The boys feel in between worlds. I guess I do too. They left their Colorado friends, family and school, but don’t yet feel settled here. Both boys have met some friends and had a few playdates, but still feel like the new boys on the outside of the group. I could feel Liam’s panic when he couldn’t remember his Denver house. Denver is still home in his heart, because Queenstown is not. Every person and experience is viewed in comparison to life in Denver. I keep reminding both boys that Queenstown will not be Denver. Queenstown will be a new experience. Someday life will feel normal here. And, when it does feel normal, we probably won’t even realize it.

No comments: