Saturday, February 16, 2008

Poppett arrives!


Poppett (full name Bonnie Arrow) arrived at noon yesterday. I spent the whole afternoon with my new girl. She is sweet and beautiful. She’s an eight-year old mare, a 16.2 hh bay, tending toward the reddish browns, with two white socks on her rear legs, ears tipped in black and a thin crooked blaze.

Her sire is Lone Arrow, a paint crossbred (half Thoroughbred, one quarter stationbred and one quarter draft horse). Her dam is a thoroughbred cross.

She comes from a small community called Moa Flats about 3 hours from here, on the way to Invercargill. Her previous owner is off to university and she needed a new home with lots of attention – me!

Poppett had a huge day with three hours in the float and then stepping out into a new world. She was very worried about the alpacas in the paddock across the road from her, prancing up and down the fence line, neck arched and tail lifted. I walked her by the alpaca on a lead first. She was at complete attention, nervous but curious. She and the black alpaca hesitantly nosed each other, both uncertain and quivering. When we rode past the alpacas later she watched intently, quickened her pace, but kept her cool. I was so impressed and proud of her composure in the face of such a strange creature. I too am slightly spooked by the looks of the alpaca.

The whole afternoon she was carefully checking out her new digs. We spent some time in the arena just getting to know one another then we went for a ride along the lake with my friend Judi and her horse, Tom. She spent the ride up the lake turning her head watching the ridgeline above the lake then scanning the lake, just taking in all the new sights, smells and sounds. She even turned her head all the way around to look at me with an expression that asked, “Who is this on my back?” By the time we head back home she had relaxed and walked calmly.

I feel like I am twelve years old again. I have my very own horse. I have been dreaming for years, like decades of years for a horse again. Actually I have been dreaming of a horse since I was eighteen, the day my Cat Ballou left Thacher for retirement at my friend’s Alex’s ranch. Some people count sheep when they can’t sleep; I make up horse names until I lose consciousness.

I barely made it home in time for guests arriving for drinks. As soon as our guests left I took Doug, Liam and Colin up to meet Poppett. I almost slept in the paddock with her when I went to check on her at bedtime. As I was going to bed, I realized that I never ate dinner. The boys had to fend for themselves and had cereal based on the bowls in the kitchen sink this morning.

She is actually on trial for the next week. We have a vet check next Tuesday. Doug keeps reminding me not to get too attached until then. Ohhhh, I’m trying!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful, Carolyn. Horses always make me cry. Joyce

Anonymous said...

Oh Carolyn,
Poppett is beautiful, and what wonderful action. Isn't this incredible, we both realize a long time dream on the same month! I love the fact that your new horse is so curious and yet so trusting. All those new experiences..rather like you and your family. But she accepts and moves on to the next moment. Breathe slowly, love deeply, live every day.

Auntie Jean

Anonymous said...

Doug,
Carolyn's reference to "my new girl" in her opening paragraph suggests your warning to not get attached may be a little late. ; )

Carolyn,
I haven't stopped smiling since I saw the picture of you riding and started reading... I'll likely wear this canary eating grin for the rest of the day, thinking of you, finally, with your horse.

I'm sending prayers out into the universe that all continues to go so well for the remainder of the trial period and vet check.

Take care, Jessica