Monday, April 21, 2008

Photos from hike to Sam Summers' Hut



The poem, with unknown author, was on that table in Sam Summers' hut. I took a photo of it because I too always have questions when I explore crumbling ruins. This area of New Zealand is so reminiscent of the gold and silver mining in Colorado. The characters of the mining era fascinate me. I too try to imagine the people and what their daily tasks must have been.

The trail winds through a beech forest along the river. Water falls cascading into deep clear pools. The pools were so deep and clear, they were irresistible. I even convinced Doug to take a plunge. It may have been in honor of my birthday or the fact that I said we would return on his fortieth in the dead of winter for a swim if he didn't join me on mine. Neither of us stayed in long as the water was freezing - barely melted snow! Jolie seemed unphased by the water temperature.

The day was magical. I even discovered my first fairy ring.

No comments: