Saturday, April 12, 2008

Rotisserie, after all these years


16 years ago, just before the Mosaic web browser was starting to take off, Doug played a season of fantasy baseball with a bunch of friends from Rice. Don't recall who won it but I do remember it being a huge amount of work for Larry. Somehow poor Larry was appointed league manager, so everyone called him weekly with their starting lineups. Then on Sundays, he took a good part of his whole day inputing all of the stats from the Sunday sports section into a spreadsheet to track the scores. Funny, we didn't play it the next year...

Fast forward to 2008. The Internet and ESPN has automated everything. The Rice boys of summer are back and playing fantasy baseball again. My team, the New Zealand Kiwis (like my insignia?), is imploding and it's only the second week of the season. My 8th round pick lost his starting job, my 13th pick got sent to the minors, I accidently picked the wrong guy for my 20th pick and my 21st pick was suspended for failing a few steroids tests. They're all gone but the troubles aren't. Over the last few days, four of my players went in for x-rays/MRIs. Even though I'm having a tough time putting nine healthy guys on the field and those that are healthy are hitting a measly .240, I'm still in contention. I'm tied for 3rd out of the field of 10.

You can follow my suffering here.

No comments: